Tuesday, January 24, 2012

February 2012





2012 is well underway - we hope you are having a great year so far! Here is your newsletter for Februray.


February Membership Special

This month, we are offering 2 months free with every 12 month Direct Debit membership (just pay for 10 months), and one month free with every 6 month Direct Debit membership (just pay for 5 months). Don't worry if you are slightly late with the new years reslolutions...now is a great time to kick into that healthy habit!


25th Year of the Taylors Nelson Womens Triathlon!


Entries are open for the 25th Taylors Nelson Women's Triathlon! Yes, you read right, the 25th year of this event. Riverside is proud to be involved with this event and are once again looking forward to seeing the many participants training in the pool and then competing on the day - Sunday April 1st 2012. Nelson Events are keen to really celebrate this occasion, so if you have any old photos of yourself or others in this event over the past 25 years then please email them through to us at admin@nelsonevents.co.nz, if they are not digital, and you are unable to scan and send, then please pop in to Nelson City Cameras in Trafalgar St and see Simon or Shelley and they will scan it for you at no charge and then deliver the image to us.
Any personal stories you have of your experience with this event, either as a participant, a supporter or a volunteer, then the Nelson Events Team would love to hear from you too. Please get in touch either via email (
admin@nelsonevents.co.nz) or phone - Averil (03) 548 3655 or Amanda (03) 545 8453
Blokes and Kids - you're definitely not forgotten! The Port Nelson Blokes Day Out and Port Nelson Kauri Kids Aquathon will be held on Sunday March 25th. Full details of all events at
http://www.nelsonevents.co.nz/



February Staff Profile - Heidi Eberhart - Customer Service Extrodinaire!
Heidi here, quote "loyal-customer-turned-staff member" unquote :)
I was asked to do a profile on myself.......kinda funny coz not sure what to write. I love exercising and the Riverside Gym has been (and still is) one of my favourite places in Nelson. Not that I get to do much exercising anymore due to so many work commitments.......but I can truly say I love to work with the crew at Nayland and Riverside - it's so much fun and so interesting - sometimes challenging too but I love every minute of every day even on a not so good day!
OK, I already said it but I love running and swimming and used to play tennis too....when I find a buddy and the time I would love to hit some balls again!
In my "free time" when I am not at Riverside or Nayland Pool (working or otherwise) I run my own travel/tourism company which is called click-nz.com which has its own website, sell AVON Cosmetic Products in Nelson and have a Nelson Weekly Paper run every Tuesday!
I LOVE swimming in the summer at Nayland and at Riverside pool in town. Have a lovely nearly 17 year old daughter in her last year at Nelson Girls.....she keeps me on my toes......
A little bit of background on me.......originally from Switzerland where they make the best chocolate and cheese in the world (some may debate but I believe it) Why am I here in New Zealand ?? Well the short and sweet of it is (actually not so sweet) HE was tall dark and handsome (Australia) but as in most cases that dream didn't work out! Before I ventured out to come to New Zealand - I attended one of the most prestigious Hotel Management schools in Switzerland in Lucerne, where they taught me how to cook, how to wait tables, how to deal with customers etc etc...even have a degree in Hotel Management which comes in handy sometimes! I used to travel the world too (Asia, Canada, America, South America, Europe - all over) so you might guess that travel is still one of my big passions in life. So one day when I can again I will put on my travel shoes to go and explore parts of the world I haven't been to (for example India and China etc)
My favourite philosophy in life is "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" oh yea - in the meantime I keep smiling and keep being happy cause that's who I am!




February Fit Tip - Bananas to bust cramp and boost energy!
Need a pre-workout energy boost? Do you suffer from cramp? Try munching on a banana. Thanks to bananas' high potassium content, peeling one is a speedy solution to that stitch in your side. While a lack of sodium is the main culprit behind muscle cramps, studies show potassium plays a supporting role: You need it to replace sweat losses and help with fluid absorption. Bananas are also packed with energizing carbohydrates. One medium-size fruit has 400 milligrams of potassium and as many carbs (29 grams) as two slices of whole-wheat bread.


New Spa Pool arriving soon!


We are currently awaiting the arrival of our brand new spa pool. The new spa will be bigger, with 10 seats and 62 massaging jets. It is currently on it's way over from Australia and we look forward to recieving it soon! There will be a short amount of time where the spa will be unavailable whilst the new one is being installed. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause but we are sure you will be delighted with the new spa!


We will also be removing the infra-red sauna from the facility in the near future, which will free up an extra changing room for families and the disabled.

Recent and upcoming sporting events and achievements


Rachel Hunter (awesome Riverside fitness consultant/personal trainer/aqua instructor!) will be off to Wellington this weekend to compete in a regional Powerlifting competition. She says: "It's a novice powerlifting comp. I will be in the 72kg class and hoping to do 107-110kg squats, 60-70kg bench 60kg+ deadlifts. I have 3 attempts at each lift and it's the best out of the three that they take for the overall score. I would like to thank John Maclean, Ray Hermens, Celia McMillan, Dawn Chalmers, Sally Dawson and Bronwyn Tuck for their amazing coaching leading up to this comp and assisting me in my powerlifring sport. It's very much appreciated and I could not do it without their guidance!" We wish her all the best in the competition, in which she has the oppotunity to qualify for Nationals. Go Rachee!

Also, Jo from reception took part in the NZ National Mountain Bike Champs in Nelson over the Nelson Anniversary weekend. Jo raced to 4th place in her class in the Downhill, and 5th place in the Super D. Some awesome photos of the event can be found on the David Chadwick photography website.




The Aquathlon National Champs are being held in Nelson this Saturday and we wish the best of luck to any of our readers / Riverside customers who may be taking part in this event! Even if you're not competing it would be great to go and watch as it's in a great city centre location on the lower Maitai River, with the race starting as 12.30pm. More details can be found at http://www.aquathlon.co.nz/.


Painting at Riverside


You may have noticed the fresh new colour scheme on poolside at Riverside recently. A group of young painters from The New Hub in Nelson, under the supervision of volunteer Jay Blazek, have taken on the task of sanding, filling and painting the walls on poolside. We all really like the new colour and think it looks great, and hope you do too! read more about it here.






















































No comments:

Post a Comment